Care Instructions for your Horses Rugs
Will variety between summer and winter Combos.
- For best results hand wash and hang over a fence or gate to dry. Some manufacturers suggest machine washing with cold water on a gentle cycle. Always use a very mild detergent. Always check the care and wash label on your purchased rug firstly!
- Dry Cleaning, harsh detergents, heat, very hot water may reduce the waterproofing features and also result in shrinkage.
- Wet rugs once removed should be hung up and dried naturally in a well ventilated area.
- After prolonged rain , some moisture may leak through and is more than likely penetrating via the stitching holes. Remove the rug, replace with a dry one and air the soaked rug before re-using.
- Look after your leg strap spring clips. A good rug will have a spring clip with a Stainless Steel Spring inside, occassionally spray with a lubricant such as Selleys Ezy Glide ( a dry non oily lubricant) to keep the parts working well. These clips tend to fill with sand, bedding and dirt and require maintenance to give you years of good service.
- Any leather parts on the rug also need looking after, such as chest fittings and leg straps. Oil them occassionally with a good quality leather dressing.
- A lot of fittings today are made of webbing and PVC and thus will only require a wash.
- On Average your horse should last one season of a winter rug and summer rug does variey depending on how harsh your horse is on rugs.
- A GOOD TIP - Once your rug starts ripping after its first repair its a sign to purchase a new rug, By the time you restitch the rug up in 2/3 places couple of times the material starts to deterrents and by the time you pay two repairs those rips you are better off with just buying a new rug. Its like if we were to wear the same clothing 365 times a year it would get ruined.